With the rapid development and reduced friction to adoption, it is only natural that both training and guidance are two closely linked and key immersive use cases.
Visualising tasks on an immersive headset allows you to be truly hands free whilst undertaking tasks such as maintenance and training. Guided tasks reduce the time spent on specific medial tasks and can mitigate errors as workflows can be built to not move forward if a task has not been completed or is wrong.
The friction has been reduced in large part to the launch of the Metaverse, along with growing support for 5G connectivity (although most solutions can run on lower speed and bandwidth connections). The demand however has risen due to the desire to see a more hybrid learning and work environment, with AI featuring within this space and improved haptic feedback making even the most basic training task, such as a CPR class, feel much more realistic.
Studies are already showing that the use of immersive technology increases knowledge retention and improves test scores by as much as 27.4%
User cases that utilise this type of solution:
User cases that use this type of solution:
- Soft skills training
- Soft skills are easy to train in person, but not always practical and in some cases uncomfortable. Carrying these out in a controlled and immersive environment removes barriers to completion, increases interactivity and team buy in to the process. This is because they no longer need to be face-to-face with another person, leading to improved communications and better mental health.
- Remote education and instruction
- Having classes, seminars or technical instruction from a world class educator is not always possible… but it is if you use an immersive technology. Add in physical and audible feedback to the environment and you have a fully immersive educational environment that can be used anywhere in the world.
- Real-world simulations
- Not every situation is viable to practice in the real world, take an active shooter situation for example, this is not something that is easily setup, it has high costs and must be done to a script. Add to that the reduction in variables and accessibility, this becomes almost inaccessible. With immersive technology, this can be setup, run and repeated for multiple officers, with new environments at the click of a button, keeping their skills sharp.
All XR solutions for training and guidance address the following key areas:
- 400% Improvement in service time
- Through interactive training and on-demand guidance, service-orientated tasks can be completed much faster. So much so, that there is a positive return on investment within a short space of time, due to the work throughput within the business increasing by up to four times.
- Increased productivity through quicker more efficient training
- First-hand training creates greater skill retention, so by using an XR solution, within a remote assist/expert environment, junior team members can be brought up to speed quickly and become more versatile. While also being able to have assistance where needed.
- Substantial reduction in errors, down to zero
- By allowing an expert to guide or a user to use a verified workflow, there is a huge reduction in errors as they have the exact instructions, right there in front of them, meaning that if something has been forgotten, it is easily referenced and checkable.
- Increased knowledge retention
- “Learning by doing”! Every time a task is conducted, it commits to memory, so by using immersive technology to guide and train a user, that commitment to memory is stronger and faster.
The type of headset/technology will provide a difference in functionality:
|Assisted||2D instruction led step by step process.||Monocular allowing you to keep most of your vision clear.||Software will not work with surroundings.
2D workflows give limited types of instructions.
|Augmented||Taking paper instructions and putting them on a handheld device.||Already an integrated system, that most users will be proficient with using the device.||Interaction with the surrounding world would be minimal|
|Mixed||Overlay 3D versions of objects onto the real models or have a digital twin available wherever you are.||Overlaying instructions into the real world to interact with your surroundings.||Can be difficult to create complex 3D models|
|Virtual||Digital twin versions of objects available in a fully immersive experience.||Fully immersive experience, in-depth models with instructions.||In most cases requires controllers.|