Being physically present in a meeting when you have been on back-to-back zoom’s staring at a computer for hours on end has been proved, to be inefficient. This has been the catalyst for adoption of a more immersive approach to both meetings and collaboration between teams.
Immersive meetings allow you to collaborate with team members across the globe with 3D assets being interacted with in real-time. Reducing travel costs and reducing time spent on reviews and discussions that would typically go back and forth.
User cases that use this type of solution:
- Conduct meetings in VR
- Control your digital presence through your VR device, allowing for a full immersive meeting environment and your digital avatar being present for all the meetings. Add in haptic feedback and you have a feedback system that allows, when meeting members interact with each other, for you to feel it. Regain that feeling of a handshake.
- Digitise training for new employees, enabling learning by doing, in a safe environment
- Immersive technology is a key part of the future of learning because we only remember 10% of what we read, 20% of what we hear, but 90% of what we do according to Professor Edgar Dale. By allowing training to happen in a safe and virtual environment, staff can learn new skills, quickly, effectively and as a team through collaboration.
- Design and present
- Visualising a new product is often hard for somebody when they are presented with a flat image. The designers know what it looks like, the product managers know how it works, but the sales team need to know how their customers are going to use it, in their environment and that is where the presentation through immersive technology in meetings helps the process. At the same time, designers can be involved to make changes to the design, on the fly, to maximise the experience.
All XR solutions for meetings and collaboration address the following key areas:
- Reduction in time for design and product validation
- Using immersive collaboration tools, the time to get a product prototyped can be rapidly decreased. By working on it virtually, putting it through its paces and undertaking a full range of digitised tests on it. Allowing other engineers to engage with the testing and add their findings to the overall results.
- Increased productivity through improved collaboration across teams, improving meeting quality
- Reducing the number of distractions in meetings and collaborative workspaces can only lead to improved efficiency, increased meeting quality! Improved efficiency and increased meeting quality result in higher productivity, which in turn, saves businesses time and money.
- Strengthen team relationships and transform workspaces
- By effectively communicating ideas through an immersive environment, team buy-in increases and the relationship between team members improves. Add to this, the ability to interact with not only members of the meeting, but objects in the immersive space, while being anywhere in the world, this completely transforms your user’s workspace.
- Reduction in costs and waste
- First cost reduction is removing the need to travel, the cost of investing in the technology is rapidly paid back through the reduced travel costs. On top of this, time is not wasted during meetings as communications are improved, and no material assets are needed to prove a concept when everybody can interact with the digital ones.
Each type of immersive technology will give the users interacting a different type of experience and some are better for specific applications than others:
|Assisted||Remotely access devices to see what others see, annotate and project information onto the headset.||Easy to consult as you can still see people in the same space as you with the added ability of 1 to 1 Teams calls.||Limited to 2D assets, such as Images, PDFs & videos.|
|Augmented||Device will need to be handheld.||Simple to use. Anyone with a supported device can share data and communicate.||Not immersive as the meeting will be on a handheld device|
|Mixed||Users can display digital twins and 3D models into physical locations, allowing multiple people to collaborate physically at once.||3D assets can be shared between users or in the same meeting room.
Assets can be changed on demand if consultancy requirements change.
|People using the devices will need training which can take a while based on location and ability|
|Virtual||Interact with others from anywhere in the world, in an enclosed digital space.||Virtual spaces can be created for larger groups of people wanting to meet, this gives you the feeling of being in the same place as everyone.||Collaboration surroundings can be changed based on who is in the meetings – This can take time to set up and get right.|